Saturday, September 09, 2006

When good news is buried...

...somehow technorati.com finds it. In my desparate search to find even a hint of news about Belmont University and the ticking clock to a November Tennessee Baptist Convention implosion, I found this story from a new student in a blog:
"The first experience that left an impact on me was move in day. On August 19, my mom, brother, and I pulled up infront of my residence hall with an SUV and a sedan full of "necessities" (right....). And I kid you not, the only thing that I carried to my room was my pillow. There were so many students and faculty members ready to lend a helping hand that all the hard work was done before I could blink an eye. Now, my move in day was different from most because that morning my mom fell and broke her foot, but have no fear! Belmont's head of nursing was right there as we were unloading and took care of her until we could get to the doctor. That has basically been a theme of my life here so far. Whenever you have a need, it's met before you can even ask."
These Belmont people had better watch out. Someone in the conservative camp might accuse them of demonstrating Christian compassion and service. Or is this another case where, "It reveals the destruction that liberalism has caused in many Baptist colleges. This same damage has happened at Belmont University in Nashville, TN." (quoting directly from CTB) OK, that is harsh...but if someone doesn't shed some light on the good news that is happening at Belmont, then the only voices that Tennessee Baptists will hear are the distorted voices of those who seek control rather than what might actually be best for the university.

I had lunch in the Belmont cafeteria last week with an old friend and fellow Baptist, Dr. Herbert Gabhart. What an incredible jewel of Tennessee Baptist life is this man. I trust his insight as Tennessee Baptists trusted him with the reigns of Belmont for so many years. If you ever get a chance to ask him about his university and where it is headed, you will find nothing but enthusiasm and a sweet spirit. We as Tennessee Baptists would do well to learn from this wise and elderly statesman. I know without question that Dr. Gabhart is a true Baptist...he saved room for dessert!

No comments: