Saturday, June 24, 2006

Blogging. Again. But differently

I have missed being able to rant and rave about what is going on in the world of Baptists...and there are so many recipes and dinner conversations among my Baptist friends that need to see daylight. My previous posts did not put folks like my friends at Concerned Tennessee Baptists in a very positive light (granted, they do enough to portray themselves negatively without any help) but they do have important things to say. My friends over at the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship aren't off the hook either, I love their zeal for missions but wonder if they are not forming another political convention because they didn't like the idea of being part of a political convention. Those voices, as well as many other diverse Baptist voices do not get the kind of hearing that they deserve and that isn't right.

The odd part of being away from blogging and reflecting on the recent events in Baptist life here in Tennessee and on a national scale with the Southern Baptist Convention, is that there is humor to be found in all aspects of controversy in Baptist life. Baptists have become more engaged and antagonistically political since the era of the conservative coup, back when Paige Patterson and friends decided to save Baptists from themselves. Being more political means that people do stupid things in the name of doing good and/or with good intension and somehow, we have forgotten how to laugh at our own indignation.

I am blogging again. I intend to poke fun at Baptists, conservatives, moderates, and liberals. We were blessed with a sense of humor (well, at least some of us) and I believe that it is high time that we use it.

I'm off to make campaign signs for Rev. Jerry Sutton. Rumor has it that he plans to run, I mean be called, to the pastorate at the First Baptist Church and Conservative Vatican in Dallas, Texas. I do love the idea of being called to a church, it reminds me of a mom standing on her back porch yelling the full, first, middle and last name of a child to get them home in a hurry...but children were rarely called to a higher paying home.

One last poke...listen carefully: if you don't appreciate sarcasm or satire, please read elsewhere or get over it (you know who you are...now, go sit on it!). I intend to stir up thoughts that make us all uncomfortable. I became a refugee baptist when I saw my baptist friends become less and less Baptist and more and more focused on money, wrapped in pseudo-baptist banners of doctrinal purity... In the opinion of this Baptist, it IS about the money, do not let any one fool you into believing otherwise!

Green beans, yummmm...with a little bacon grease, I'd vote that they be approved as the official food of Baptists everywhere! Can I get a witness (or another recipe), please?

No comments: