Sunday, June 25, 2006

Influence of Southern Baptist bloggers

I know this is late in coming, but I have been giving some thought to last week's Tennessean article where Wade Burleson is quoted, saying that young Baptist bloggers had a significant impact on the convention's presidential election. The following is pulled directly from the Tennessean:
Burleson, among the best-known Internet bloggers who have criticized the current Southern Baptist leadership, said the computer bloggers were key to Page's selection. "Page may have started out as the underdog," Burleson said. "But I attribute the fact (he won) to young men and women on blogs."
The more that I have read in the blogs following the convention the more I tend to believe that the conversations going on between blogs and bloggers can be more powerful than the back room politics that have dominated presidential elections in the SBC for the last couple of decades.

I wonder how long it will it take for older Baptists (like myself), and particularly, older Baptists from the Pressler/Patterson side of the fence to build their own online communities of bloggers? I'd much prefer to hear what all sides have to say rather than having a group that proposes to represent my best interests to hide behind a login. Personally, I believe the more daylight that blogs can bring to all sides of an issue, the healthier the debate.

I've never seen a blender at a Baptist fellowship before, but I'd be willing to pass along my Mexican Vanilla, banana, and strawberry milk shake recipe...particularly if it will squelch some of the guilt-by-blender-ownership association. Then again, I haven't always taken my milkshakes in moderation...*gasp*

No comments: