Saturday, October 28, 2006

Dr. Porch, Next on the Tennessee Baptist Agenda?

Looking at the slate of officers proposed by the CTB political party for this year's Tennessee Baptist Convention meeting, the writing on the wall says that the conservative resurgence will have the controlling votes on the Executive Board and the Committee on Boards. I would like to congratulate the group in advance for setting a new standard of political activism in Baptist life, you learned well from the Patterson-Pressler era. Maybe now that one faction has control, there will be fewer complaints about the same group of people being recycled each year in TBC leadership positions. I look forward to seeing the diversity that our new conservative leadership can provide us each year.

Just a note to Dr. Porch: It looks like you may be the next agenda item for the CTB. Quoting from Jeff Wright's Blog:
"The Executive Director of the Tennessee Baptist Convention is Dr. James Porch, a man sympathetic to the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. His track record in handling situations similar to the current controversy (see the newsletter, page 7) leaves little room to expect he will be a friend to the conservatives in the convention."


If I were Dr. Porch, I would be concerned. I would also like to know more about what "a friend to conservatives" means. I have my signed and notarized copy of the BFM2000 in my pocket. Does that count?

2 comments:

Jeff Wright said...

Hello there,

I came in from a back-link on the site meter on my site.

Let me say that I appreciate this blog - in fact, I just added it to my RSS reader. You do a great job of discussing events from across the TBC spectrum that I simply don't know how to access. Kudos.

In regards to this post, I realize that you and I are probably viewing the same issues from different perspectives which, obviously, is fine.

However, I would encourage you not to imagine groups like the Concerned TN Baptists as "conservative politicians." I cannot speak for the group, only as one who admires there efforts but I find the group no more "political" than any group who is concerned about the organization into which their resources are poured.

Anyway, just my .02. See you on the blogosphere.

Will said...

Jeff,
I consider the Concerned Tennessee Baptist group to be highly political...but you are right. They are not the only group within the TBC or SBC with their own agenda. I do not share your admiration of any group (conservative, moderate, or liberal) who makes it clear that they want only their flavor of Baptist in control of state Baptist institutions. I see no evidence to indicate that the CTB's strategy to acquire leadership positions in the TBC isn't more about control and power rather than accountability. That rings of politics, regardless of what kind of wrapper the group wants to put on their candidates.

I welcome you to the conversation. I am hopeful that more conversations will ensue and that we can agree to disagree, agreeably.

Grace and Peace to you.