Saturday, January 13, 2007

Welcome Home News from Bemont to the Tennessee Baptist Convention

I have a ton of things to share with my two loyal readers about my trip to Guatemala, but that will have to wait until I rid myself of whatever I picked up that keeps me running to the porcelin throne. I'll write fast for now.

Via the Associated Press, WKRN in Nashville released the story, "Belmont to subpoena nearly 100 churches in Baptist lawsuit". My friend, TBC Elder, told me this was coming and that a long-time Belmont employee happened to be the only person available at his own church when the papers were served. There is some irony there, I am sure of it.

OK, so Belmont wants to see 50 years of records from 100 of Tennessee Baptist Convention's most generous churches. I may be the only one laughing here, but I would be surprised if most of our churches keep detailed financial records for more than 5 or 6 years... now, ask us about Baptisms and attendance in worship and we can spout those numbers off like a football fanatic addicted to Super Bowl trivia.

That's it for now. It is Chicken Noodle Soup (without the chicken or the noodles) for me over the next couple of days. If we ever meet, ask me how many different languages that I know how to say, "Kaopectate, please". I gotta run...

No comments: