Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Baptist Radicals - 562 Baptized Outdoors

Somewhere in our Baptist history many of us decided that baptizing people in a nice, comfortable, fiberglass tub, inside a meeting house accomplished the same 'public confession' as the accounts that we read in the Bible from the early days of the Church. I confess to being 'too comfortable' with that practice...and in the same breath will tell you that I have a difficult time advocating a return to chilling, January experiences on Tennessee creek banks. But still... To me, there is something about a public (outside the walls of the church building) declaration that connects us to the life and times of Christ's walk on earth. I miss that.

I applaud this church for being radical. 562 Baptized in a Parking Lot! Ring the bells of heaven!! If I had known about this event before it happened, I would have made plans to drive to South Carolina to be a part of the celebration. I haven't heard any outcry of blasphemy this time...luckily, there wasn't a fire engine involved*ahem*. In the old days of Bold Mission Thrust, I think this would have qualified as Bold. Baptist radicals...God bless 'em!

Good discussion on dunkin' vs. dribblin' going on here.

I can imagine that the fellowship that followed this event was something to write home about... I can close my eyes and almost smell the fried chicken. Yummmmmmm!

No comments: