Monday, October 01, 2007

Baptists Discover/Confirm Peter Principle

Does anyone remember reading The Peter Principle? It is a book that deals with our tendancy to promote people to their highest level of incompetence. With all of the controversy pinging around Southern Baptist pastors who are now in institutional leadership positions, I hope someone will take the following quote from an apbnews.com article to heart:
“I’ll put it this way. He’s a great preacher, a great family man. He represents the seminary well. But he’s lacking in administration and people skills. And in order for the seminary to grow, you have to have these things.”
It is probably just me, but it seems that far too many men with seminary degrees have ended up in Southern Baptist leadership/management positions with neither the skills, training, or natural ability to actually manage. We seem to be perfectly capable of ruining great ministers by electing them to leadership positions in our institutions assuming that great ministers = great managers. Recent history is ripe with examples...think about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never post anonymously, because I don't like what it does to the sense of community, but in this case, I'm as anonymous as possible.

Because I wholeheartedly agree with what's written here. My church is living proof.

I didn't grow up going to SBC churches, and joined one when I moved here as there were no real churches of my denomination around. I'm continually surprised at the corporate mindset of the SBC, and at the complete inability to hire managerial people for managerial positions.