Monday, October 15, 2007

What Teenagers Want From Churches


The Barna Group released What Teenagers Look for in a Church last week. The following should concern us all,
"...the research raises caution that teenagers' prodigious appetites for spiritual activity may be waning. Since a decade ago, teenagers are less likely to pray (down from 81% in the mid-nineties), to attend worship services (down from 53%), and to read from the Bible on their own time (down from 37%)."
I thought about the report a good bit this last week and nothing particularly surprising stood out. Back in the post-cave days when I was a teenager, my church was THE place I could go and know that if I asked my parents if I could take my girlfriend that the answer would be "yes". Upon further reflection, I'll confess to the hypocritical nature of sitting on the back pew with my girlfriend and singing, "All that thrills my soul is Jesus."*

*Not sure where I heard that, but it is true.

No comments: