Thursday, October 04, 2007

I Recognize My Fallibility

Among Baptist bloggers, I consider the voice of Wade Burleson to be one of the very few who can simultaneously rattle our comfort zones and gracefully engage a range of opposing perspectives. I admire that quality as being fundamental to what Baptists should be about. We need to be uncomfortable with the condition of our world, the condition of our denomination, and our personal, 'oft-too-comfy' conditions. We need, also, to talk to one another in a manner that reflects Grace, even when we bitterly strongly disagree. I share this quote from Wade's blog as good food for thought:
"I wonder if dogmatism against women in ministry might one day be viewed the same as we now view Southern Baptists former dogmatism in defending slavery. I don't know. I'm just asking. It's one of the reasons I refuse to be dogmatic on my complementarian beliefs and will listen to my friends who are egalitarian.

This does not mean I doubt the Word of God. I fully trust God's Word. It means I fully comprehend my own fallibility in properly interpreting the Word of God. Let's dialogue about the issue. Let's debate the issue. Let's disagree over the issue. But we should never DIVIDE over the issue. There are far more important doctrines that UNITE us."
I, too, recognize my fallibility...I take that as a reminder that God isn't finished with me (yet), nor is he finished with those who may not agree with me. Some day, I hope that Baptists will be viewed as a strongly united body because of our ability to accept differences...rather than a divided body shredded by our inability to recognize our personal fallibilities.

With all that being said, we simply MUST agree that coffee is the official drink of SBC Sunday School...then, we can argue until we are silly over which creamer (if allowed), is divinely inspired. So there! *big smile*

No comments: