Saturday, October 20, 2007

Tennessee Temple University and the Tennessee Baptist Convention - Questions

A day or so ago, I received an anonymous comment on the Refugee Baptist post, Tennessee Temple - Not Quite Ready for Tennessee Baptist Convention Adoption, expressing concern over my apparent resistance to embrace the Concerned Tennessee Baptist campaign to add TTU and/or the Tennessee Temple Seminary to the TBC. Let me make myself very clear. I am not opposed to adding higher education institutions to the TBC. And, from discussions this week, I have heard wonderful things about numerous administrators and students at TTU. I have also discovered items that I believe should concern Tennessee Baptists. Here is my first question*:

Can a TTU graduate with a B.S. in Education Teach in Tennessee Public Schools?

The TTU Education department web site reads,
"Believing that God may choose to use individuals as teachers in either Christian or public schools, Tennessee Temple prepares its education graduates to serve in either."
I do not doubt the quality of the TTU teacher education program (beefing up the program with a Ph.D. or two on the education faculty would impress me more), but it is my understanding that the state of Tennessee's Department of Education will not license a graduate to teach in Tennessee public schools unless the degree is from a NCATE accredited school of education (See 54-1 on this PDF). TTU's education department does not have NCATE accreditation. The accreditations listed on this page will allow a TTU graduate to teach in a private, Christian school. Unless I am misreading the state requirements, a TTU graduate cannot get a license to teach in a Tennessee public school. Some may argue that is an advantage. Parents and students need to be aware that there may be long-term career implications if this accreditation issue is a matter of fact.

Just so we are clear, the three higher education institutions listed on the TBC Institutions page all have NCATE accreditations attached to their respective teacher education departments. I respect the efforts of those institutions to achieve this accreditation as a demonstration of their commitment to quality teacher education.

I am expressing concerns over Tennessee Temple University solely because I am see nothing but glowing recommendations and no one asking questions. Before this train leaves the station, I would really like to make sure that someone has inspected the tracks (pun intended).

Speaking of tracks, I must reflect on a dining car experience from the past sometime...it was a moving experience.
*I have more questions...for later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to see someone finally questioning TTU and whether or not it's students recieve the education they believe they are paying for. As a former student I was led to believe that as an accredited school TTU credits would be transferable and usable at other colleges and university's. This is completely false. In my freshman year of school 99-2000 a very good friend of mine graduated with a 4.0 GPA in music. Soon after he found out he would not be able to pursue a higher degree at public University's because his credit's were "no good". In fact a degree from TTU is only useful if you wish to work inside the private christian community. I had many other problems with this school including TTU questioning students relationship with God when someone did not like the rules. I left after two years because of this and many other reasons but my main concern has always been the inferior education its students receive. I also don't understand how the school can accept government tuition assistance and yet require its prospective students to write out their personal salvation experience as part of the school application. I guess what I'm saying is that the school does not truly inform its students of the expectations required of them or the quality of the education they will receive and yet they demand you pay fines for everything from not cleaning your room to showing up late to church. Overall I recommend no one go to this school and get a quality education somewhere else where you aren't forced into a cookie cutter mold of TTU's version of christianity.

Anonymous said...

I graduated from TTU in 1986 and had no difficulty getting certified and hired to teach in a public school in Tennessee. When I entered Purdue University for graduate school a few years ago, I had no difficulty getting accepted with my TTU diploma. I received an M.A. this summer with a 4.0 from Purdue and feel that I was as well prepared as any of my classmates for graduate school. I'm having a hard time believing that Temple's standards of scholarship have dropped quite as much as the posts I've read seem to indicate.

My husband, also a TTU graduate, pastors an SBC church, and has done so for most of the past 20 years. We are thrilled to hear that Temple might be joining the convention instead of wasting energy fighting for outdated standards that are not Bible-based.

Both TTU and the SBC seek to further the kingdom of God. I would love to see them cooperating in that effort.

Will said...

Teacher C,
Thanks for commenting!

When you graduated in 1986, TTU's education program was growing strong and the university had a significantly larger enrollment. The state law changed sometime in the 1990's requiring NCATE accreditation for the school/graduates to teach in public schools. TTU failed to acquire NCATE certification and the education department has been a shadow of its former self since then.

I do not doubt the quality of your education or the success and ministry of your family. As a graduate, wouldn't you prefer that a son or daughter of yours who has been called to teach, attend an institution where their future teaching opportunities included both private and public schools?

When TTU is ready to become NCATE certified, they become a much more attractive candidate to join Union and Carson-Newman in the Tennessee Baptist Convention's family of educational institutions.

Laura Echevarria said...

I graduated from Temple in '91 with a B.A. in Speech Communications. My sister left Temple in her Junior year because of finances and her credits transferred to another university accredited through the Southern Association (which was where Temple was accredited at the time). All of her credits, including Bible, transferred to George Mason University where she graduated with her Bachelor's,

Personally, after graduation, I spent 10 years working for a top-ranked, nationally recognized pro-life/pro-family lobby group. Seven of those years were as director of media relations. Temple did a fine job preparing me and my time on Temple's debate team served me well in my capacity as a spokesperson for the lobby group.

I think you walk away with good and bad experiences but that happens at any school.

Anonymous said...

AMEN TO ANONYMOUS!! I went to TTU for a year and that was all I could handle. Thankfully I was a commuter so I did not have to live on campus. I am so happy to be away from that school. Now that I am at a real school I see a huge difference. I am also doing much better academically. The cookie cutter mold comment is exactly right. They are more like a cult than a university. I can say that I learned a few good life lessons from my experience, and I made some great friends. I would have to agree with anonymous and recommend anyone who is thinking of attending to apply elsewhere. GOD BLESS<><