Saturday, November 10, 2007

Others express reasons for not going to Tennessee Baptist Convention meeting

Jim isn't going and tells us why he won't be at this year's Tennessee Baptist Convention annual meeting. He has similar hopes that I share:
"The Annual Meeting used to be about Christ, but now its about power. And I have no interest in power aside from the power of the Spirit to live the Christian life. So I'm not going. I'm not going to participate in fussin', fightin' and feudin' under the guise of powerplay.

When the Annual Meeting returns to being an event whose only purpose is to exalt the Lord and encourage the Denomination, I'll go back. Till then, I'm not wasting my time, our Church's money, or energy on it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope someone I know is there. Most of my friends have quit going. This will be my last trip. My first convention was also in Kingsport in 1998.
Today our pastor was talking about how Jesus liked hanging out with sinners, tax collectors, and other people who were not at all like him. It seems like the only people welcome at the TBC annual conventions any more are cookie-cutter people who say yes to those they perceive are calling the shots.
I think it would look very different if we looked at the world like Jesus did, being careful to include others instead of being like Pharisees; those guys seemed to be looking in windows, peeking around corners, examining everyone to make sure they didn't belong with them - of course, no one did belong with them, not even Jesus.