Friday, November 09, 2007

Squelching Blogs and Baptist Dissent - A Dark Day for Southern Baptists

Just a few days ago, the Southern Baptist Convention's International Mission Board of trustees voted to suspend Wade Burleson from the trustee body over content in his blog Grace and Truth to You. Full disclosure: I have been reading Wade's blog for several months and see eye-to-eye on most of Wade's perspectives. For me, however, this is not about whether or not I agree with Wade. This is about squelching Baptist dissent that is written in what I would consider a model for other Christian bloggers. There are blogs whose tone is anything but Christian and there are those that are full of abusive and personal attacks. Wade Burleson's blog does NOT fit in any way, shape, or form as a forum for Wade to attack, abuse, or place anyone in a bad light. Certainly, there are visitors to Wade's blog who have expressed views that could be construed as personal attacks and that is sad to see. I find it naive to believe that the current IMB trustees hold Wade accountable for what someone else contributes in the comment section of his blog and that is exactly what some have done. I find this censure action shameful and an attempt to move the dealings of the International Mission Board into unnecessary secrecy in an era when openess and accountability should be the order of the day.

John Floyd, IMB trustee chairman, said that he was deeply saddened at the course events had taken. I am more saddened by John Floyd's lack of transparency and his failure to tell his Christian brother that this censure was forthcoming.

For me, the following, closing quote from Wade Burleson's Statement to the Trustees (dated November 7, 2007) tells me where this man's heart is:
"I wish all Southern Baptists to work together in harmony for the expansion of Christ's Kingdom. I cannot apologize for being a Baptist. I will not apologize for attempting to hold our convention and this board faithful to that end. I will be a trustee of the International Mission Board for a season. I will be a Southern Baptist for a lifetime. I will be a follower of Jesus Christ for eternity."
To that statement, I say "Amen."

1 comment:

TBC Elder said...

Interesting picture of Wade and John. There wasn't a knife in John's right hand by any chance??