Monday, November 20, 2006

The Bible is No Longer Good Enough for Tennessee Baptists

Dr. Danny Chisolm over at Signal Mountain Musings has a post that is well worth reading. He concludes with the following:
The real news out of Bellevue this week is that the Bible isn't good enough, at least for the TBC. The 2000 BFM got more votes than the Bible. After this week, it's not enough to affirm the Word of God as the sole authority for faith and practice. (Dr. Bill) Sherman tried in vain with that idea. It used to be that being known as a "people of the book" was good enough to work and fellowship together. You can't be trusted to serve on a committee or board now unless your doctrinal card has been stamped "2000 BFM approved." ...I serve a great church where the folks know what being a Baptist is about and we do our best to keep the main thing the main thing. No one can tell us what to do. We take the Bible seriously and choose ways to best carry out the Great Commission in our community and beyond. That little song I learned in Vacation Bible School stills rings true: "The B-I-B-L-E, now that's the book for me. I stand alone on the Word of God, the B-I-B-L-E.
Amen, Danny! If there is still fried chicken anywhere near that orchid growing place on the mountain, I want to take you out for a fine Baptist lunch some day.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Howdy,

I would only adjust your posting title a bit with adding "to some". I.e., "The Bible is No Longer Good Enough for SOME Tennessee Baptists."

Like you, the good people of the Church here know what it means to be Baptists. So in TN there are at least some of us who hold on to the best of Baptist tradition while ignoring the fundamentalists and their rubbish.

Will said...

I agree, Jim. The title is a little mis-leading, however, the vote at the convention on the substitute motion was a little shocking in itself.