Friday, November 10, 2006

Inner City Death Watch for Baptist Churches

My dear Baptist friends,

I asked Will if there was room for an editorial that is heavy on my heart and the next thing you know his Blogger administrator friend sets me up with an account. Let's be clear up front. I am TBC Elder. I am a Baptist and have been for almost as many years as there are white hairs growing out of my ears. I am 'elder' by the definition of being aged and and providing counsel and friendship to many a baptist pastor/leader. I am not "Elder" with a capital "E", so don't go bothering Lloyd about writing on a blog (maybe he should. It is much easier to publish than BSSB literature ever was). Just love me for being the Baptist I am. I promise to return the favor.

Inner City Death Watch
It's a sensitive subject, but is there not a solution to stepping in to the often Elderly Congregations, much like we do with our own Parents health and lifestyle issues? Terms like merge, sell, close, or even donate their facilities to another form of Ministry are like curse words to the dozen or two remaining senior Members, as they sit in hallowed halls that once burst with hundreds and hundreds.

Our Convention, Associations, the North American Mission Board send in young Pastors with guns-a-blazin' to save the Church, save the also-dying neighborhoods, change the music, and reach new Families. Then poof, these young pastors leave in short periods of time, leaving behind more bitterness, and a few new faces that also don't understand. It saddens my heart. It hurts deeply in the lives of those who feel helpless as their church family dwindles around them.

Is there an answer? Has there ever been an answer?

Prayerfully yours,
TBCe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live right down the street from a church, just like you describe. When the situation gets to the point that the senior adult population is more than half of all adults, sometimes the lack of flexiblity on the part of the old-timers is part of the problem when it comes to trying new things or just wanting things to be like they were in the good ole days.

The IMB has a program for older adults called the "Masters". They serve two years (I think) and take their lifelong skills into the mission field. Is there a similar "Masters" program for the NAMB? Older adult "Masters" working with older adult churches might be a solution. I don't know. I sense your pain and your frustration. I am praying about it now.

Anonymous said...

Great Subject!!! My In-Laws are 50+ year Members of an inner-city Memphis Congregation. The Church is dead, and another young "missionary" Pastor is leaving them. And...leaving them in debt they didn't have before his fresh ideas dug them in deeper. Their Budget is to keep the lights on and Insurance paid. Even with a Funeral a week, they refuse to merge with the two or three other feeble congregations within just a mile or two. Their problem isn't the need for a senior adult that they can relate to, it's about pride and fear. I agree that it's sad that a stronger Ministry Organization can't step in and direct one or more of these Churches, molding them into a larger/stronger body.