Sunday, November 26, 2006

How Tennessee Baptists Can Help Their Higher Education Institutions the Most

It is pretty clear to me that the three, Baptist, higher education institutions that Tennessee Baptists claim as their own are each different. Through the years, I have watched the reports at Tennessee Baptist Convention annual meetings and on those occasions have listened to testimonies, heard musical ensembles, watched slide shows, and viewed videos from students and administrators at the different schools. I have always felt good about Belmont, Carson-Newman, and Union...always. I still hold all three institutions in high regard. In today's competitive world, there seems to be a natural tendency to select favorites and I would guess that each of us in the three grand divisions of Tennessee tend to favor the Baptist school closest to home, I am no different.

In the closing sessions of this year's annual meeting, budget figures were bounced around for supporting Carson-Newman and Union. They both need and depend upon the financial support provided by our cooperative program gifts. Belmont's growth and success has placed the institution in a position where it is no longer dependant on cooperative program monies, in essence the school has done exactly what the TBC wanted it to do: succeed. We should be celebrating the freedom to have more funds available to help other institutions strengthen their wings so they too can fly. I am still amazed that the TBC turned down millions of dollars in student scholarships for Tennessee Baptist families to send their children to Belmont...but that's part of another story.

I am writing today to tell you that there is something each of us can do to support our three Baptist colleges that won't cost you a cent. Many Tennessee Baptists send their children off to college each year...and I would venture to say that most end up choosing state schools over our own Baptist colleges. I am not saying that everyone should attend one of the three schools, but at least make sure that each family knows of the programs at each school so that they are included in the mix of options. More students for each of these schools means more income...it is pretty simple economics. It is my understanding that there are financial models demonstrating that schools with an enrollment of over 4,000 are much more viable than young(er) institutions, without huge endowments, whose financial (enrollment) base is smaller. Belmont is already there. Union is moving steadily in that direction. Carson-Newman is struggling, but optimistic.

The children in my extended family (including their friends and their families) know Belmont...they wear university t-shirts, they hear of student mission trips, and they go to events on campus. Some have already gone to Belmont and if I can have any influence in the choices of other little ones in my family, they will certainly know that Belmont is an option. If I lived closer to Carson-Newman or Union, I know that I would do the same.

Does my loyalty to Belmont mean that I agree with everything that is taught in the classrooms on campus? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, I am glad that my family is exposed to a diverse cross-section of ideologies. I would be disgusted if only one philosophy of thinking, living, or believing were offered to them. My family walks onto Belmont's campus with a Christian foundation. I expect that foundation to be tested. I would much rather it be tested in a place where there are other Christians available than someplace where the environment discourages Christian activity. I am encouraged by the level of critical thinking that develops in a liberal arts environment. I can guarantee that there are opportunities to meet and associate with other Christian friends, more so that one will find at state schools.

So, what can Tennessee Baptists do to help their colleges the most? Let the youth in your church know about Belmont, Carson-Newman, and Union. Do not take it for granted that they already know of these schools. Who knows, there may be a future TBC president among those future students and alumni.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your comments are appropriate. Probably has a lot to do with a son who attends Belmont and loves it. In fact, it was a dream of his to attend Belmont. I think it is great for students to think for themselves; and when presented with views different from their own, to be able to think critically, to disagree agreeably, and to keep Christ's love in the forefront.

Will said...

darby,
There are some who tend to equate 'critical thinking' with 'undermining the gospel'...although I understand that position, I do not believe that to be the intention of any of these schools.

Thank you for you comment!