Saturday, November 18, 2006

TBC Presidential Challenge

I have not met Ron Stewart, but the words in today's Tennessean article give me hope for all of our Baptist institutions, even Belmont University. Here is my challenge to the man the Tennessee Baptist Convention selected to lead us through the coming year:

Dear Ron,
I challenge you as the newly elected TBC President and a graduate of Belmont University, to make Belmont and all Tennessee Baptists proud. If you allow your conservative party affiliation to dominate your decision making, you will fail to represent us all, you will fail Belmont, and you will fail at demonstrating that Tennessee Baptists are bigger than near-sighted, ill advised, spitting contests. I would much prefer that history would record your presidency as a return to cooperation of all Tennessee Baptists, regardless of creedal definitions, to missions and ministry rather than the president who lead the convention through a fight that divided fellow Christians and affirmed to non-Christians why they should not be Baptist. The ball is in your court, Ron.

Peace,
TBC Elder

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you have hope. I do not. Women are discounted. I do not think this is Biblical. I think within a few months I will no longer be Baptist. My children both accepted Christ and were baptized in a Baptist church. Both have chosen not to be Baptist. One is a Belmont student. He used to attend TBC conventions with me as a homeschooling student. We took field trips in conjunction with the convention, including the wonderful Missions Extravaganza, taking notes on Roberts Rules of Order, etc. He would take breaks from the meetings and hear the talk in the halls about campaigning for candidates, bussing people in for the vote, etc. He was 13 when he decided he didn't want to be Baptist when he grew up. He does love Belmont and considers it Baptist. He reads the Bible, thinks for himself. He said he didn't like Baptist services because it was just a man telling everyone what to think. He doesn't like the attitude of considering women inferior. My daughter attends a non-denominational church where she is on the praise team and is asked to pray aloud on Sunday morning as well as lead youth and music. The pastor of the church views women as equal to men and encourages the giftedness of women, even if it is the coveted gift of preaching so protected by men.
I have one more year on a TBC Board/Committee. I intend to fulfill my commitment. Then I am no longer going to be Southern Baptist.

Will said...

I remember those "busing people in for the vote" days as well. To some degree, if you heard anything about attendance at this year's TBC Annual Meeting, attendance dropped off sharply after the day that included officer elections.

There is always room for you in the Baptist Refugee Camp.