Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Hopeful Carson-Newman Faculty - Beware of Wolves...

If you haven't been following the struggles at Carson-Newman College, this post will be of little interest to you. If you have any connection to the college as a student, faculty, staff, or alumni, I hope that you will find encouragement in the words of a faculty member regarding a recent 'listening session':
"I was inspired beyond description by the integrity, honesty, and genuineness with which my colleagues shared their concerns about the state of Carson-Newman College. Their commitment to students, to Jesus, to academic excellence, was a delight to hear... My hope for the future of C-N was rekindled in a way that it has not been for years... I have never been more proud of Carson-Newman faculty. I am proud to be counted among them."
There are many needs at Carson-Newman, but a dedicated and committed faculty of Christian educators is not something the school lacks. I hope that Tennessee Baptists will recognize that fact and that they will rally around those individuals who are prepared to lead the college forward.

There are some in the Tennessee Baptist Convention who are proposing that Carson-Newman be changed to reflect the conservative resurgence within the Tennessee Baptist Convention:
"The theologically liberal Religion department at C-N should be replaced with Bible-believing faculty members. The Biology department should be replaced with teachers who do not teach evolution as fact. The Trustees from CBF churches should be replaced with Trustees from churches whose theology and worldview are representative of Tennessee Baptists."
- Bill Carden, FBC Tullahoma
It may just be my refugee roots, but Bill Carden's suggestions sound like conservative Baptists want more than just a change in direction...don't be surprised if a conservative pastor becomes a candidate is called to replace Carson-Newman's current president.

3 comments:

Chas said...

I have been folliwing the Carson Newman situation with great interest. It would be a good time for Tennessee Baptists to follow the suggestions of Paige Patterson who said that "we should let go" of the institutions that are not with us. He commented that we already have more schools than I expected. This would be a good time for Carson Newman and Belmont to go their way and leave Union in the TBC.

Will said...

Chas,
You are the second person who has attributed a "we should let go" comment to Dr. Patterson. Can you link me to the text/context of what he said, please?

Anonymous said...

I recognize that this is an older post, but I have some questions about C-N.

I am considering applying for a teaching position there and am wondering about the atmosphere. I am looking for a Christian liberal arts college that genuinely operates from a Christian worldview perspective while encouraging first rate scholarship.

Wheaton College might serve as a model of what I have in mind. How does C-N compare to Wheaton?

I'm choosing to remain anonymous here as it may otherwise be unhelpful in the event that I toss my hat into the ring.