Thursday, December 21, 2006

Methodists and Garrison Keillor

I have a warm place in my heart for Methodists and Garrison Keillor. The Methodist church was within walking distance from my college housing...it was also closest to the freshmen women's dorm. Not the best motivations for attending church, but it perhaps made me appreciate Christian diversity a bit more. Garrison Keillor and Prarie Home Companion made me fall in love with the radio and the town of Lake Wobegon, Minesota "where the women are strong, the men are good looking, and all the children are above average,".... So, when there is a satirical article that features Garrison Keillor and Methodists, it is a must read for me. This is Keillor at his best:
"And finally, you know you are a Methodist when: It's 100 degrees, with 90% humidity, and you still have coffee after the service. You hear something really funny during the sermon and smile as loudly as you can. Donuts are a line item in the church budget, just like coffee. When you watch a Star Wars movie and they say, "May the Force be with you,"and you respond, "and also with you."
Somewhere along the geneology of Christians, there is a little Methodist blood mixed in with some of us Baptists...and I don't see that as such a bad thing at all.

Hat Tip: the methoblog

No comments: