Saturday, December 23, 2006

Let me tell you about one of Belmont's new, non-Baptist Trustees

The denominational labels for Belmont's 8 new trustees made the news this week. Up until now, that is just about all we know of them (unless you are a gospel music fan and know CeCe Wynans). I was delighted to see Steve Horrell's name added to Belmont University's Board of Trustees...and I want all Tennessee Baptists to understand why I feel moves such as this are in the best interest of the school and do NOT make Belmont any less Baptist.

Steve Horrell was raised in a Baptist church right here in Nashville. I attended numerous musical presentations during his youth and young adult days and remember seeing him in the choir. I know that he attended Belmont College back in the days when a select group of Christian men and women called the Belmont Reasons presented a musical witness in TBC churches and gatherings across Tennessee...Steve was part of that group. I know that Steve was a campus leader in other areas as well.

I know of at least one TBC sponsored mission trip that Steve took to Guatemala following a devastating earthquake in the late 1970's and was at his church the night that the team reported back. Even though Steve's words from that trip elude me, I can still hear the passion in his voice for that ministry effort. From a nearby neighbor, I learned later how Steve took care of his mission team's accomodations the last night of that trip when several were quite ill (Steve, Carl thanks you for that).

Steve Horrell knows Belmont intimately. His family has been a part of the institution as far back as I can remember (early 1960's?). Since his graduation, I dare say that he as been a regular on campus and served in a host of roles. He has served faithfully and generously at one of Belmont's Regents in recent history.

I do not know the details of why Steve left the Baptist church to join a Presbyterian church. He may have tired of the bickering among Baptists and simply chose not to become a Baptist Refugee. For me, it does not matter an ounce. This man knows and loves Belmont University. I would expect that his success in the business world will be a tremendous asset in guiding the school through its current growth. He has more than proven himself to be loyal, talented, professional, committed, and Godly. I applaud the university's choice and congratulate Steve on his new position.

Had we as a convention, in the special meeting back in May, actually taken the time to look deeply into the backgrounds, histories, and hearts of Belmont's trustee men and women whose positions we "vacated", I know for a fact that we would have discovered similar levels of talent, commitment, professionalism, and Christian compassion. I pray that the Tennessee Baptist Convention will never allow itself to be misguided by church leaders again to commit such an unjust act, particularly in the name of "legal convenience".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to right this about one of the new trustees. I am a sophomore at Belmont (Music Business major) and have followed this "conflict" since my freshman year when it became known. As a Southern Baptist from Virginia I'm no stranger to Baptist bickering, but the TBC seems to have taken it to a new step. Belmont has contributed to the Christian and business community in Nashville in a way that can't be measured by dollars. The TBC has done nothing to build the academic standing and international recognition of Belmont. That has been done by the students and teachers working together with community and business members. The TBC provided very little of Belmont's operating budget and when I was looking at Belmont, I wasn't contacted by anyone from the TBC to let me know I had been accepted into their school. So for the TBC to try to lay ownership of the Board of Trustees at Belmont because of past ties, I simply find that ridiculous. The TBC needs to listen to the voice of the students and faculty on campus and realize that Belmont isn't a Baptist campus anymore. It is a diverse Christian environment (with plenty of non-Christians to go around) that has grown itself into what it is today without the TBC playing much of a role.

Will said...

Chris,
There was a time when TBC gifts were a lifeline for the college...and there are some who feel that Belmont is being ungrateful for those gifts now. There was also a time when a much larger per centage of students were Baptists...and there are many things that happened through the years that caused that. There was a (long) time when the Board of Trustees was 100% Baptist...and most unfortunately, there are some across the convention who feel that those trustees were the wrong kind of Baptist (i.e. too liberal or moderate). All that to say, the issue is complicated by the very fact that Baptists are involved...we are a diverse group who are prone to bicker.

Chris, I do understand how someone who looks at 50+ years of support for an institution, including the initial seed money to get things started, wants to 'lay ownership' to what traditionally has been a 100% Baptist board. Many of those people simply do not want Belmont to turn into 'just another liberal arts college'...it has happened to several previously-Baptist schools. Belmont has indicated that it wants to be true to its Baptist heritage...I don't think the conservative leaders in the TBC hear or believe that. Honestly, I am not sure that Belmont can make that promise even with a board of trustees that is 100% Baptist. At this point, however, it looks like the relationship between Belmont and the TBC is in the hands of a committee and the court system.

Thanks for taking time to comment.