Friday, December 15, 2006

Let's get mad and show the world how Baptist we are

I have tried to broaden the scope of my reading in the Baptist blogoshphere (now THAT's a dangerous combination of words). My blogroll over in the right-hand column intentionally includes conservative, liberal, moderate, and assorted flavors of commentary coming from differing perspectives within the Southern Baptist Convention, and more specifically the Tennessee Baptist Convention. Rarely do I find a topic from any of those sources that matches my feelings/opinions exactly. I read something this morning that comes very close to how I feel about being a Baptist...and if you have not read anything of Wade Burleson's blog, be sure to read this December 16, 2006 post. It includes the following:
There are those who say, "This fussing and fighting make me wish I weren't a Baptist."

Don't say that.

The truth is, we may seem to 'fuss and fight' but all we are really doing is establishing the fact that we are by nature Baptists --- nobody dictates, demands, or dominates our beliefs. The Word of God is our guide, and no human instrument will bind our conscience. The presence of free debate and dissent is a sign of a 'healthy Baptist denomination.'
Wade's comments fit my definition of who we are as Baptists. What seems to have changed for many of us that we just don't seem to know how to fight fairly. What the world sees is the unfairness of our tactics and misses the free debate and dissent..and now electronically-on-the-web, the open display is often a bad combination of unfair,ad hominem, free debate and dissent.

I would hold up Wade's blog as a shining example of gracious and reasoned response in the face of criticism. I believe that he demonstrates what electronic debate should look like. We may not agree completely. But with Wade, I am confident that our fellowship is not in danger due to our differences. For me, that is a core, historical, Baptist value that needs to be cultivated more among Baptist bloggers.

I still contend that whenever two or more Baptists are gathered in His name, there is a Meat and Three somewhere nearby.(my apologies to Matthew) We may fuss and fight, but we sure seem to have fewer problems when eating with one another.

No comments: