Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I only wish I had said this first...

Agree or disagree with Wade Burleson as you may...but denying that he has the heart of a Baptist would be completely off the reservation. Wade reposted his feelings regarding conservative politics in Southern Baptist circles, and I quote him here because it defines where I am, better than I have been able to do myself:
"I, and others like me, are now being isolated by political conservatives who want to rid our convention of fellow conservatives who don't interpret Scripture like they do, or express dissent with the power politics of the SBC. These political conservatives refuse cooperation in favor of conformity, and I really think it is because they have forgotten how to minister in the power of the Spirit through prayer, humility and cooperation.

I do not want to fight with my fellow conservatives. I want to cooperate with every conservative to win the world to Christ. I don't want to even argue, I just want all of us who call ourselves Southern Baptists to realize our convention is big enough for different interpretations of the non-essential doctrines of Scripture. Let's accept the Baptist Faith and Message, but let's not demand conformity on doctrines that are not even addressed in our 2000 confession of faith before agree to cooperate with each other."
I confess my frustrations with the political tactics of the conservative resurgence and promise to work harder to avoid using the same ends-justifies-the-means strategies that have caused pain and confusion for far too many years.

I want my fried chicken and I want it now! (There must be a fried chicken = "Baptist cooperative spirit" metaphor somewhere that will preach...there is certainly more than one way to make good friend chicken instead of arguing over white meat or dark meat, right?)

No comments: