Monday, December 04, 2006

The Prodigal Blogger

I spent much of last week reading other Baptist blogs. I could be way off base, but I see much more reasoned discussion going on than venom-filled, personal attacks. It may be that I have discovered the places where reasonable Baptist have gathered...and if so, I forgive them in advance for not sharing their favorite 'meat-and-three' (which preaches as 'meet-and-two-or-three' Matthew 18:20 )...I regress.

One of my discoveries is The Prodigal Blogger. I commend Brother Wade to you for several reasons and plan to have his blog added to my reading list. He is currently a student at Campell University and is a recent graduate of Southeastern College... if you do not read anything else on his blog, please take the time to read In the Name of Fairness, his personal journey as an older student called into ministry, relating his experiences at Campbell and Southeastern. I consider is closing paragraph to be of Refugee Baptist, prophetic proportion:
I find myself in a unique position. I see both sides of the issues and do not subscribe to either one. I will not choose sides. In all fairness to both institutions my opinion on both schools is that they more than likely stand on equal footing as abominations to the Lord God of Heaven. Both schools have flaws in their core beliefs. Southeastern has gone too far. Campbell has not gone far enough. Southeastern worships a book and themselves. Campbell has all but chunked the book out the window and worships themselves. Liars and hypocrites! When will the two sides wake up and realize that all they are doing is dragging the body of Jesus and nailing it back on the cross over and over again. Truly the time has come for both sides to quit acting like fools in the name of Jesus and discover that there is indeed equal footing at the cross of Calvary.
There are many good posts on The Prodigal Blogger and I sense a kindred spirit in Brother Wade's frustrations with the polarized ranks of Baptists.


Brother Wade and I have never met, but I'm thinking that conversation over Cracker Barrel's beef stew and corn bread would be some-kinda-fellowship!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is interesting that you name your blog Refugee; and now there is Prodigal. There are quite a few people feeling this way now in Baptist life. I certainly do.
You would not have liked my supper. Salad and broccoli. Trying to keep down inflammation in the coronary arteries and all cells, of course.

Will said...

darby1,
I understand that if enough cheese sauce is poured over broccoli that it becomes a little more 'Baptist'. *smile* (yes, that does defeat the good health benefits...you inspire me. *sigh*)