Friday, December 15, 2006

There is no limit to anger born from ignorance or misinformation

It must be something in this morning's coffee, but I have been pondering what others have had to say about a certain value, belief, icon (i.e the Bible), or institution (i.e. the family) coming under 'attack'. I'll confess to my tendancies to become defensive when faced with an opinion, comment, or ideology that either conflicts with my own values or makes me uncomfortable. It is because of that discomfort that I leave you with the following words from Mark Twain:
"We despise all reverences and all the objects of reverence which are outside the pale of our own list of sacred things. And yet, with strange inconsistency, we are shocked when other people despise and defile the things which are holy to us."
Maybe I just need more creamer...perhaps one of those fancy flavored varieties.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blog. I will be gone for a while.
You might like to know that several Baptist met at our seminary and for lunch we had:
chicken, ham, church eggs (used to be known as deviled but that doesn't seem appropriate), chocolate pie, spice cake, chiffon fruit salad, and raw vegetables and rolls; sorry, we didn't have iced tea and the coffee was bad
Merry Christmas!

Will said...

darby, you give me hope for our seminaries. Merry Christmas!!