Thursday, December 14, 2006

Not Under My Christmas Tree, No Way!

I have a historical appreciation for the folks over at Focus on the Family and their original projects that focused on parenting. In spite of what I perceive as a shift toward a focus on politics, there have been expansions of programs that I appreciate. I have generally found their entertainment reviews at PluggedIn to be fair and on target. I do take issue with the latest game recommendation.

First, read their review and endorsement for the computer game. Then, check out the reactions to Left Behind: Eternal Forces over at EthicsDaily.com. Sorry, guys, I believe the Focus on the Family crowd missed this one...particularly:
"Eternal Forces is the kind of game that Mom and Dad can actually play with Junior—and use to raise some interesting questions along the way. Production company Left Behind Games is pushing it as an evangelism tool for teens, and I can see that, too. You certainly don't have to be an eschatologically minded seminarian to appreciate it."
Oh, just in case someone chooses to lump me in with the "rock throwers", I HAVE seen and played the game. I consider the downplaying of "defensive violence" to be dishonest...it is probably the only part of the game that "Junior" would actually "enjoy". I would place this "tool for evangelism" in the same category of sharing the four spiritual laws using a hand puppet...it might feel good, but it is just not quite right. The primary benefit of the review might be parents scrambling for a dictionary to define eschatologically minded seminarian.

There are Baptist parts of the Left Behind Game game...while playing, it is essential that the leader keep his followers supplied (at least spiritually). Again, the lack of actual reference to fried chicken, green beens, or pecan pie was a real disappointment.

No comments: